We all love chocolates as a sweet treat but the same can be a health hazard for the little kitty in your home. Cats usually are picky eaters and unlike dogs will not consume large quantities but still it is important to not let them near a pile of chocolate candies. The reason behind this is the presence of a chemical called Theobromine. It is an alkaloid found in the cacao plant and imparts bitterness to the chocolate.
Cats, unlike humans, do not have the ability to break down Theobromine in their digestive system and as a result it causes chocolate toxicity. This reaction can be identified by a range of symptoms like excessive thirst, abnormalities in heart rhythm, seizures, or twitching in muscles, vomiting, restlessness, hyper-activity and in very severe cases, death.